Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Beginnings

Everything feels so fresh and virginal when the calendar rolls over. Well, maybe not virginal...but we can't deny that there is a sense of renewal with a new year. I want to learn more about photography because I know very little. I think that photography can be a raw and revealing art. Trying to capture reality or, for the more particular artist, ones own world, must be difficult. Like an effing hipster, I want to explore every artistic medium.

Basking in the glow of sloth that is January for a college student, I realized that I forgot to take pictures. Sitting in my room, I decided to focus on my stuff. Then, I remembered that there is a view from my room. Of the Octopus Carwash [here I must add that I will never get my car washed at this particular Octopus. The manager yelled at me when I was moving into the house because I was parking my Uhaul in the driveway of the carwash. He wasn't nice at all. And he had a mullet.] My desk thing is covered with junk; postcards, post-it notes, pictures, jewelry, hair products, dust. I was just staring at it and took this shot. That is my grandpa. He also made the snoopy portrait.

Sometimes I look at all of the stuff that I have accumulated. Every piece of junk tells a story and I have a lot of them. I don't mind that I keep adding to the pile. I guess in a lot of ways I am like my Grandma. I will always be a pack rat. Every now and then I go through things and throw out what I think is clutter and unnecessary. I find it highly difficult because when I throw it away, I feel as if I am throwing out my only connection to a memory. My memory is so faulty and spotty as it is. These memories become more important to me, especially during what I consider to be the most tumultuous, ground-breaking, mind-bending, whip-lashing time of my life. It is like I am reaching out, constantly trying to grasp for some stability.

Well now. I am getting ahead of myself. All of this belongs to a blog for another day

4 comments:

  1. Written like a true emo. I'm so proud. ;) But, no, really... I find it incredibly hard to take pictures of anything personal of mine because I scrutinize it and think it's not good enough. Even for this damn photo project. I'm pretty boring too, so maybe that's why it's so hard. :) Love you, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you skank, I didn't know you started up blogging again. Welcome back to it...again. :) Hehe...glad to have more to read to keep me from getting stuff done. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey now, I work in almost every medium and I'm not a hipster... I'm just hip. But to broaden your choices one day I'll show you how to use the wheel...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, i guess we just gotta keep keeping on.
    Megan, I miss you.
    Eric, don't deny it. PLEASE broaden my horizons by guiding me on the wheel.

    ReplyDelete