Thursday, November 26, 2009

Being thankful

It is hard as hell! I have this problem: I am always looking for ways to make my life better instead of taking a moment in the present to appreciate how great things are. So this morning, cozy in bed, I am listening to the cars driving by in the rain...people driving to gatherings or, most likely, to a grocery store because they charred the turkey. Last night it snode. Not a lot, but it was just there and its presence made it feel colder. This morning it is brisker than it has been. I guess it had to happen sometime.
Here I am contemplating all of this, how things have been turning out after my whirlwind of a year. I want to take this moment to contemplate all that I have gained or maintained despite what I have lost. What I am thankful for:
  • I did not cut off my whole finger a few weeks ago. That would have been highly detrimental to my career.
  • I have a place to live that I can afford and I have great housemates.
  • I am actually doing what I want to do - I have 17 students and regardless of their wide spectrum of work ethics, I love them all.
  • I am able to make music on a daily basis, mostly with people that I enjoy making music with. I am lucky to be in the collegiate environment, where I have many opportunities to play.
  • My family of course; they still love me.
  • My friends; they still love me.
  • My health. I know I have to treat myself better. I want to. I am just lazy.
  • You.
Speaking of....time to get back to the cozy laze that I want to succumb to today before I get to make a sweet potato casserole and a corn casserole. Photos forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment